BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT
The Special Security Battalion was created vide Govt. of Odisha, Home Department Letter No.PDA-11-90/2008/6919 dtd. 10.02.2009 and became operational w.e.f. 25.03.09 with its temporary headquarters at the office of Commissioner of Police, Bhubaneswar-Cuttack, Bhubaneswar.
Government of Odisha has allotted 80 (eighty) acres of land in mouza Jamujhari for establishment of the Special Security Battalion. A Master Plan for development of infrastructure on the allotted land has already been prepared. Construction of Administrative Building and 100-men barrack are expected to be taken up shortly.
The Special Security Battalion shall provide security coverage to VIPs, dignitaries and vital installations.
SANCTIONED STRENGTH OF THE BATTALION
The battalion has a sanctioned strength of 1161 personnel of all ranks.
At present 44 Recruit Sepoys of this battalion are undergoing Basic & Advance course of Training at 3rd I.R. Bn., Kalinganagar, Jajpur.
The Security personnel of SS Bn., BBSR have undergone the following training programme to make themselves efficient to meet any challenge.
- 03 Havildars & 08 Sepoys have undergone I.E.Ds. (Improvised Explosive Devices) course of training at Bengal Engineering Group Centre and School, Roorkee, Uttaranchal.
- One Sepoy has undergone Basic Course of Armourer training at North Eastern Police Academy, U.M.S.A.W., Meghalaya.
- One Officer in the rank of A.C.P. of SS Bn., has undergone training on “TACTICS” at S.V.P.N.P.A., Hydrabad.
- One Sepoy of this Bn. has undergone T.O.T. course on Physical Training at N.E.P.A., O.M.S.A.W., Meghalay.
- 02 Sepoys are now undergoing training on V.I.P Security at N.S.G. training centre, Maneswar, Hariyana.